Wednesday, January 25, 2017

And the list grows

Over at Fret Not Yourself there is a year long improv challenge aimed at new quilters, but it also embraces us experienced improv quilters. Every quarter of 2017 there will be a challenge and this quarter will be the Chinese Coins design. Now I don't have my Gee's Bend improv project done, but since I would like to participate the Gee's Bend piece will have to get in line. This is what I am going to do for my Chinese Coin quilt - I have some pieces and parts left from the four quilt tops I have been working on for Vicki. I decided I am going to use those for my Chinese coin quilt and that will kill several birds with one stone;
1. It will be my piece for the AHIQ first quarter challenge


2. It will finish off a item on my UFO list

3. It will bust some scraps rather than tossing them in the scrap box. Here is what I have left hanging on the design wall, the pieces I gathered up from the four tops, and what I found buried on a table in my fabric storage room.

I also decided that I would go thru my black, gray, and white fabric stacks and pull out any scraps that may be hiding there. I went thru the black stack and this is what I pulled to add to the mix. I haven't gone thru the gray and white stacks yet.


4. It will add a quilt to my giveaway stash


What else in on the growing list? I need to make a t-shirt quilt out of these t-shirts by March 4 for my beautician's son who is graduating from high school this year. It won't be a big quilt so I think I should have no trouble getting it done.


Next I need to start working on my piece for the Akron Art Prize. My brother told me to go thru a bunch of t-shirts he had and take what I wanted. I have to bins and a basket of shirts to go thru.


Then of course I need to finish this fourth top for Vicki. I did get a few more pieces laid out. I had to go back and cut a couple of pieces of gray and the black leaf print. If I put my mind to it I could finish this tonight.

3 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Ah yes, ,the list aways grows! But it is fun to get them finished. I am now chomping at the bit, ready to get back to sewing!

Ann said...

Your "fourth top" has such depth. A great optical illusion. It feels like a small quilt at the end of a long corridor. And did you notice? That little quilt is a Chinese Coin variation? Two stacks of coins with two vertical sashes.
I love the idea of using neutrals. So glad you're joining us on this challenge.

Kaja said...

Thanks for linking up with AHIQ. I love that tiny bright centre sitting in the middle of the neutrals, like a little jewel! Your plan for the AHIQ challenge sounds good too - I'm excited to see how it evolves.