Monday, August 30, 2010

The calm after the storm

Here is what my all purpose table looks like today- nice and neat and orderly. I spent some time cleaning up and getting everything laid out for the work I need to get done by Sept 11. Other than the quilts I do have to get my brother's football jersey altered by Friday. I can't believe it took me so long to figure out to put a small box on the table when I am cutting to throw my scraps in instead of tossing them on the table or on the floor. Gosh I must be slow! It just made clean up so much easier.

Remember this quilt? I got it back out on Sunday and finished quilting the sashing. I have four blocks that need quilted and then the quilting will be done. I would like to get the binding on by the end of the week and get this off the to do list.

I started these two crib quilts Friday night. The father is a Notre Dame fan and even though he and his wife are having twin girls, ND colors are going to be in their room I just improvised these with either cutting or tearing strips and pinning them to the design wall. I had the tops done Saturday morning.

Here are the backs done layered on top of the fronts.

Pinned basted and ready for quilting. These need to be done by Sept. 11 along with the pink whirly gig quilts, and the jean quilts.

I made these two receiving blankets Sunday morning. They are 36" x 36". White on one side - hockey flannel on the other side.

Before I went out to weed I decided to make an armband holder for my Ipod. I dug thru my odds and ends so this make with scraps of velcro, elastic and untrasuede. It worked very well.

The before weed pulling shot.

The after. Pulling the weeds wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The ground is very dry so after pulling the crabgrass and weeds I gave the plant a drink of water.

Can you tell where I weeded? I pulled a wheelbarrow full of crabgrass and look what I have left to do. It just was too hot in the sun on Sunday to pull any more. I keep after it this week so hopefully it will be done by Friday.

My brother stopped over Sunday with this small dresser. He has had it for more than 20 years. Our dad had made it for him out of plywood. He doesn't want it anymore so I am going to refinish it (just a quick sanding and paint job)and pass it on to my son who needs one. It is well built and I think with the paint and new hardware it will be great. Add that to the to do list.

My brother also brought me a big box of t-shirts left over from the t-ball program. He wants me to make a quilt for the community center out of them. The oldest one we found so far is from 1997. Add that to the to do list.

To say the least I think I will have a lot of finished projects to show over the next several weeks. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

Your to do list is starting to look longer than mine!