Monday, October 31, 2011

Busy, busy weekend

Friday nights opening at the art museum was "Landscapes from the Age of Impressionism". I didn't have time to see the paintings. I was told there are three Monet's in the exhibit. I will make time in the next few weeks to go and see the paintings. The lobby in the museum had a Fench street scene

Here is the food - French and American cheeses, grapes, crackers, etc.
Here are the roses I was to sell - that was my job. I only sold 8. People just did not want to carry them around.

The lady that ran the event gave the rest of them away when the event was winding down and sent me home with a half dozen.

Saturday after running around doing errands, I did some priming and painting trim.

Done
I soaked these Sunbonnet Sue blocks in Orvis and then gave them a gentle wash. I could not believe how dirty they were. They belong to the event coordiantor at the art museum and were made by her grandmother. I am making them into a quilt for her. There are two blocks that still have some brown spots on them. I will try washing them again.

Sunday I installed switchplate covers and receptacle covers. Now the room is starting to feel like I am getting somewhere.

Here is the closet in this room. The wood has never been painted so it was great that I didn't have to sand or strip varnish off before I could prime and paint.

The sun was shining and it was warm enough out to spray paint the bedrails for Peg's room. When she couldn't come in August I didn't bother to finish this job.
Before
After

I had this old mirror and decided to spray the frame yellow to go in the yellow and gray room
Before
After

I got the second coat of paint on the extention jamb and casing for the windows

Before I could tear into the floor I had to drag this 8.5' x 12' wool rug ...

up these stairs

I then pulled up the peel and stick tile so that I could prime the floor before installing more peel and stick. You may ask why? Well, I should have primed the floor before I installed the floor the first time because the tile did not adhere to the floor very well and the black petro based adhesive left from the original tile seeped thru the peel and stick and discolored it.

I pulled up a little more than half the tile and then primed the floor. I had a fan on it with the windows open to try and get it to dry so I could move the bed over and do the other half.
The other half before

after

I read on the the can of primer (Bulls-eye primer - it is my favorite - water based) that it is fully cured in 7 days. I am going to wait as long as possible before I install the new peel and stick to make sure I get good adhesion this time.

To say the least I was tired Sunday evening! I made a pot of vegetable soup for lunches and called it quits at 6 p.m. I feel I made a lot of progress on the house. I have 12 days to get the room done.

1 comment:

Exuberant Color said...

It should feel like a new house when you get this room finished. I don't know how you do it all.