Monday, August 3, 2020

DWR quilt, the garden, and 16 patch blocks

Ok here is my update on the DWR quilt. I now have 11 melons and 8 centers left to quilt! Each take about an hour so that is 19 hours of work left.

Friday morning I was up early and spent three hours in the yard pulling weeds and planting some squash in the garden area that were still in pots. I don't know how those squash had even survived in those little 6" pots! They looked a bit sad, but after two days of rain maybe they will come back. If they don't it is no big deal. There are two butternut squash plants and either another zucchini or yellow squash.

I picked another zucchini. It was the one I showed last week. It must have grown 4" in the last two days! It was 10" long and will go into a stir fry tonight.

I was surprised to see that there were two yellow squash hanging on the plant on my deck. When I looked closer there are at least three more forming! Wanda had recommended some fertilizer since the squash would shrived when they were not very big, and the fertilizer seems to have helped!

My one pot of bok choy had been attacked by something. The leaves are chewed up. I will just let it go and see what happens.

When I was weeding, I found a start of a new lavender plant. That was exciting!

I have a little coneflower plant that didn't come up the same time as the rest. It was planted at the same time, two years ago, but something were awry. I have been watering the heck out of it and hopefully it will come back. Here you can see it's size in relation to another plant I had planted at the same time two years ago.

I spent at lot of time this weekend sewing together strips and cutting them into pieces for 16 patch blocks. I am trying to use up all those strips I had hanging on the design wall. So far I have enough pieces to make 150 16-patch blocks. I went thru my solids and cut up a variety of pinks where I only had less than a yard of the fabric left. I have enough blocks for 3 pink and taupe quilts, one with blues, and one with the yellow and taupe. It is nice to have them ready for turning into blocks when I have a few minutes to sew.

Here are the strips left. I sure had cut a lot of strips! I have enough here for probably two more 30 block baby quilts.

I also spent some time cleaning up my fabric storage room. When you start tripping over stuff, it is time to clean!


Vicki W said...

You're getting a nice harvest there and the DWR is sooooo close!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You never know if a plant will survive transplanting in the middle of summer but I would think they will like more soil for their roots to explore. I'm glad to see fertilizer might have been what the plant needed. I don't do a much fertilizing in pots as the season goes on and I know it will usually help.

It's nice to have a bunch of strips already cut to add to for the 16 patch blocks. That is such relaxing sewing, the best therapy.