Monday, August 24, 2020

16 patch project, counted cross stitch, and mystery solved

I worked most of Saturday and Sunday on the 16 patch quilt. I am 92% done with having it quilted! I am going to have to start looking for fabric for the binding.

I got that Danish cross stitch completed. I washed and pressed it and it is all ready for framing. I use to do all my own framing at a place call The Framers Workshop. I don't think they are in business anymore. It was less expensive to do the framing yourself. That place cut the framing materials and all you had to do was put it together.

I quit doing counted cross stitch samplers a long time ago. I mean how many samplers does a person need to make? LOL!! The last one I completed was this one in 1993 which I found in the bin with all my other cross stitch fabric and patterns.

There was also this sampler I had started. The original is in the Ohio Historical Society collection, but was originally made in Massachusetts. I will take it to work on at lunch time.

I did some research on that cast iron Staub pot and found that I was completely wrong about what it was for. It is a specialty piece for cooking mussels! I don't think I have ever eating a mussel in my life! I have a Staub cookbook on hold at the library and maybe I can find what else I can cook in this little pot. It is still a cute pot!

3 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

I like your Danish cross stitch finish...it's light and airy like spring. I too, used to cross stitch but haven't for a while....might go digging around as you and Jo (Jo's Country Junction) have given me the itch! I had never heard a Staub cast iron before and found it interesting reading. Looking forward to what you will use your pot for :)

swooze said...

I had never heard of Staub. Will have to read up on it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I quit doing counted cross stitch a long time ago too and have given away most of the pieces. The ones I liked best didn't fit in with my decorating. Framing things yourself would save a lot of money but I think all of our framing stores have gone out of business too. Cross stitchers were probably their best customers.

Mussels? Me neither. And I don't think I ever want to try one either. I think the pot should be good for cooking small portions of many things.