Wednesday, January 24, 2018

AHIQ #29 and blue top

It time to join the first AHIQ group challenge for 2018. This is the 29th challenge which the main theme is the use of scale. Kaja of http//www.sewslowly.com assured me that using a UFO for this challenge is perfect so I knew which one I would use. Here is an oversized improv pieced log cabin using one block to make the entire quilt. I hand dyed all the fabrics and as you can see I pieced it in 2010. Time to get it done! It is 47 1/2" x 64 1/2" so not too big. Why I made this quilt in these colors I have no idea. I not a big fan of green or purple.

My plan is to continue play with scale in the quilting - width of rows and size of stitches- and weights of thread. I refuse to buy any thread for quilting this, but to use what I have. I dug around to find what I had that I could use and I have plenty! There is linen thread, perle cotton size 8 and 12, and some top stitching thread.
We have six months to complete this project. No more watching TV and doing nothing!

I hadn't cut any batiks for the herringbone quilts, but I needed a few more darks for the first veteran quilt top. I dug thru my blue batiks and found some pieces that would work including several scrap sized pieces. So now the top is ready to sew together once I switch around a couple more pieces that I think could be in a better place.

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like you are going to do all hand stitching on this quilt.

Ann said...

This will be a great project to work on for scale. So glad it was in your UFOs. Your hand quilting is so interesting I can't help wonder what you will do? Abstract or representational? History of your homes or town? So many ways to go and you will surprise me. Thanks for joining AHIQ and adding your unique insights.

audrey said...

All the different threads look very interesting! Looking forward to seeing this come together.:)

Janie said...

Great plans for the challenge.
I like your quilt top, it reminds me of Gwen Marston's work.
And hand quilting is always a good choice.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh you really are off to a great start this year! Luscious selection of quilting threads to work with and it's interesting that you will be bringing scale into this part of the process.

Kaja said...

Like Ann I am intrigued to see what you will do with the quilting; it's a great way to interpret the challenge, that's for certain. I like the giant log cabin too.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I LOVE that log cabin beauty!!! On anything carpentry or repairing....I figure the time Frank gives me and multiply by 4. Generally about right.