Thursday, June 25, 2015

t-shirts and walking

Last night the humidity was in the 40s - the lowest it has been in a long time - so I needed to get out and walk. I needed to make up some steps that I have missed since it has been either raining or so miserable outside that I could not stand to be outside. I decided to walk over to a house where the dry stack stone walls are being rebuilt. The house was built in 1915 by the Seiberling tire people. It took 3600 steps to get to the beginning of the wall

I pass by this wall every day on my way to work for 11 years and had notice how it was falling apart. Sometimes with the freeze and thaw there would be a blowout and the stones would roll onto the street. The organization that oversees the property is rebuilding the walls. The walls are so beautiful and I am glad to see them getting fixed. So here are probably way too many pictures of the wall and the repairs. The wall runs on two sides of the property and with my steps it was around 1200. Here is the stretch of wall on Garman St. The condition of the wall varies from a single stone popping out of the wall to a blowout or collapse. I don't know how much of the wall is going to be rebuilt.

Around the corner on the Portage Path side of the property the entire wall has been rebuilt except for a small section at the very end that is getting finished up. I did see one stone that had some wonderful carving on it. I don't know if it will be going back into the wall or not. I am surprised no one has taken it to put in their garden.

I took the long way back to the house. I had started out with 4015 steps and ended my day with this:

I did get a few more t-shirt pressed with the interfacing. Here is what the design wall looks like as of this morning.

I have 13 more larger pieces of t-shirt to iron on the interfacing to and a few smaller bits. They are calling for rain tonight so I will probably get these all done tonight.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the dry stack stone walls. I saw a couple in NC when I was there last week.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love that wall. What a great background it would make in some of the art quilts. thanks for sharing that beauty with all the tumbles and holes too!

I got 10K last night by walking in the house and exercising with my dumbbells. It rained for 3 hours and I was not going to walk the streets by myself. Frank headed for Lake Charles before the rains hit.