Monday, April 27, 2015

Pin basting and vintage? quilt

One of the quilt group members came over and I helped her pin baste two small quilts. This first one is light sabers

and this one was made from leftover bits

This quilt is one that has returned to me. I made it for my mom for her birthday in 1981. Look at this awful hand quilting! I am a self taught quilter and this was one of the first two quilts I hand quilted. I didn't know any better that I should not have used dark blue fabric with off white quilting thread!

Here is the front. The quilt is quite faded especially the blue border. Green gingham - really what was I thinking! At least my point matching was pretty good!

Check out the binding corner. Well, at least I can say I got better!

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Going down the quilt memory lane is humbling. We all had to start somewhere and lots of us learned from magazine articles and the few books available back then.

Vicki W said...

When I made my first quilt I had been doing tailoring and making evening wear for myself for years. I thought quilting would be easy. I pull that quilt out occasionally just to have a good laugh at myself! It's a complete mess but I used it for years.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

A blast from the past!

Every once in a while we have a quilt program about the worst quilt you ever made and I keep one around....just for that!