Monday, January 8, 2018

Shred Head wins and the blues

The show Amazingness gives everyone a nickname and my nephew's was Shred Head. He won! It was all very exciting watching him win and seeing my brother and SIL on TV. How he was able to keep this is secret for several months had to be so hard.

This weekend I put together another blue herringbone baby quilt top. First I had to dig into my blues to find a couple more pieces of dark and medium fabric. While I had the scrap box dumped I decided to go thru it and do a bit of sorting and cutting. I now have a stack of 4 1/2" squares, 3 1/2" squares, 2 1/2" squares, 2 1/4" squares, and a pile of 3" strips.

The 3" strips will be married up with a solid strip to make a block like this

which I will turn into step zig zag quilts like this

After I spent 5 - 6 hours on this I put the remaining blue scraps back in the bin and I didn't even look like I had taken any out LOL!!! This is going to be a long term commitment, but I will be happy just to put a dent in my pile.

Here is the second blue herringbone top I got sewn together. I call this herringbone columns and used columns of dark blues and medium blues. Not a real strong contrast, but I like the way it came out.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I watched his clip on YouTube. He's really talented! I hope he gets lots of great opportunities from this.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It was fun to see your nephew perform after hearing so much about him. I hope the prize money will give him a boost in his career.

I like the medium and dark blues. It reminds me of blue jeans.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I think I like the blues more than the pinks!