Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Big Dream Project

Well, it is time to report in my Big Dream Project progress on Vicki's Field Trips in Fiber blog. My dream project is myself and it is a big project! I am a chunky monkey and I am trying to undo the years of sitting on my backside. I have not been as dedicated to getting my steps in lately as I hate the humidity so I have been staying indoors and my other lame excuse was I needed to get the wedding quilt done. After I walked enough yesterday an electronic badge from Fitbit popped up on my phone yesterday afternoon. With getting that badge my focus to get moving has been reenergized. I received my Serengeti badge which means I have 500 lifetime miles.

So to keep moving to get my 10,000 steps in yesterday I decided to get out in the yard and work on cleaning up the flower beds. The humidity was down to 57% and the UV index was 3 about 6 p.m. so I could work in the yard without long sleeves and get some work done before the mosquitoes were active. Here is what needed attacked

Yes, it was a bit easier to get the weeds out with all the rain we have had, but I was still sweating like mad. At times I had to stop because I could see as my glasses were fogged up and the sweat was dripping into my eyes. As I crawled around in the dirt, I could feel the moisture radiating up from the ground. After an hour and a half I got about 1/3 of this bed cleaned up. I had a pile of Sweet Peat left from last fall in this bed that I had dumped there so I first put down some Preen, spread out the Sweet Peat, then sprinkled another layer of Preen. See the rocks?

I put them there so I would remember where I planted the zinnia seeds. Yes, it is a bit late to be planting seeds, but I figure with the heat and moisture they will grow fast. I had bought this pack of pink zinnia and some of the green envy that I grew last year, but the green envy pack has disappeared. Oops!

This was a good start now I just have to make time to continue. I still needed a few more steps last night to get my 10,000 so I walked to the end of the cul-de-sac and keep making laps until I got my 10,000 steps. Let's just say I was a bit wiped out after that! So the teal and purple quilt sat again with no progress.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Does the fitbit give you step credit for doing weeding on your hands and knees? It should!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Working on you is more important than the progress on a quilt. The older we get, the more we appreciate steps taken to improve health and body image when we were younger. (and I'm WAY older than you!!!)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Congratulations for the Serengeti badge! I am still not totally recovered from the pneumonia yet, but I started getting my 10k steps in again day before yesterday . Probably won't make it tonight, frank so out of town and I have a fiber group meeting.




Lisa said...

good for you! I am addicted to my fitbit!!! But I have to admit, I belong to a gym because I know that if I don't participate in a group, I just won't keep committed... so every day at 4 AM, I get my body out of bed and get ready to face the music in 5:30 AM classes!!!! Then if I feel the need to walk/run outside, it is bonus!