I did not get any sewing done last evening - I got busy doing a few chores and watching the men's basketball team win against Argentina. I don't normally watch the NBA - too many overpaid cry babies, but the Olympics seems a more honest reflection of talent. I did get a couple of pieces of fabric pulled for the challenge piece I need to do for this month's MQG meeting. There is not a winner for this challange - this is just an exercise to see what everyone will do with this fabric.
There is a size limit of approx 16" x 16" which is a good thing. I say that because the last time I was in a group challenge that there were no size limits I ended up making this quilt in 2004.
The challenge was to make something that was inspired by a picture in a quilt magazine and use the challenge fabric that you pulled from a brown bag of scraps. The quilt inspiration is obvious - Sandi Cummings - but this was my first venture into improv piecing. The fabric I pulled was a tone on tone cream and a pasley. I ended up dyeing the challenge fabrics - they were just ugly! But anyway, I was the only one who was crazy enough to turn two scraps of fabric into a bed sized quilt! I used silk in the center of the squares. Here are some close up shots.
Here I used the challenge fabrics around this peach silk
Here is the label I put on the back which has a piece of all the different cotton fabrics I used. On the right side of the label is the challenge fabrics before I dyed them and the dyed fabric on either side. I did end up winning this challenge and the prize was two large fabric containers.