Monday, December 19, 2016

Was that the plan?

My plan for this weekend was to work on the zig zag quilt and get some walking in. The best laid plans ....

There was no walking outside on Saturday since it was raining and water on ice - well, difficult to walk on. I spent most of the day on the zig zag quilt. By the end of the day I had the backing and batting laid out and ready to pin baste the top.

Sunday I got up early to head to the grocery store to pick up a few things for Xmas cookies. The temperature had dropped overnight and the parking lot was like a skating rink. I got home and decided to work on dishes, cook some mushrooms, and throw the two small whole chickens I bought in a pot to cook. So I am washing dishes and the water going down the drain seemed a bit loud. I looked under the sink and here the pvc had come apart and the water was running all over the cabinet and ended up running down the wall in the downstairs bathroom and laundry room. Crap! That wasn't in my plans! LOL!!!

I tried to fix it, but the nut would not hold the down pipe in place. My brother always says to me "let me know if you need anything." Well, I need help with this so I called him. I mean a week before Xmas and I can't use my sink?! I was planning on making some cookies and I was cooking. I started cleaning house so in case my brother could come and help me. This happened at 9:30 and Mike came over fixed the sink about 1:30 so I had been running around doing laundry (4 loads of towels, 1 with quilt backing, and 1 with clothes), vacuuming, taking out the recycling, trash, putting away the dishes that were already done, etc. That wasn't in my plans either! LOL!!! I got over 8,000 steps in from going to the store and running around the house.

He was able to fix the sink and I was back in business, but I was hungry and a bit tired. All I managed to do the rest of the day was to pin baste the quilt, clean the cooked chickens, and fold laundry. I did get a little bit of quilting done this morning.

So much for a plan! Oh, well things could have been worse. I am just so grateful Mike was able to come over yesterday and help me out.

The lock on the gate for the job site was frozen this morning so I just parked my car outside the gate and went for my walk. It was 12 degrees and the sidewalks and parking lots are covered in ice. The school threw down a little bit of calcium chloride, but it was still very dicey walking. Tomorrow it is suppose to get above freezing and full sun so maybe that will get rid of some of the ice.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you could get your brother to help you. I always try to fix things myself too but I know when it is time to call in the help.

It was -9 when I got up this morning and is supposed to get up to 13 today, sun is shining trying to help.

Vicki W said...

A good brother is a wonderful thing!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow! Glad he could come over. Nothing was damaged, huh? I can tell you how to,recover from a flood. First you tear all the walls out......