Monday, January 31, 2011

The best laid plans ...

I had a friend come over on Saturday to help me with sorting my scraps and maybe do a little sewing. She can sew, but has not made a quilt by herself. Two years ago we made a quilt for her daughter's wedding present and last year I helped her make a quilt for her first grandchild. Before she came I had to do some cleaning - vacuumed and steam mopped the kitchen floor, put stuff away, cleaned up the bathroom, and took out the trash. Once she arrived and we got talking the plans for the day were changed. She wanted to make a quilt for her other daughter for her new bedroom suite. We hashed around a bunch of ideas - I won't go into detail, but it was hard to figure out what she really wanted - I collect pictures of quilts and inspirations so I got out the computer and found something she like. Next we went "shopping" in my fabric storage room. We ended up using that blue fabric I bought a couple of weeks ago down in New Philadelphia for the background - she didn't know there were witches on the fabric until I told her - and then found almost everything else we needed. I didn't have enought of the red fabric we needed to she is going to go shopping for something similar. She was just amazed we found enough fabric to make a queen quilt. Please!!!! That didn't even put a dent in the stash! So here is what we have so far. I have been doing all the cutting and sewing since it is improvisationaly pieced - she needs straight lines so this is very foreign to her. She is making all the decisions about the colors and their placement and will help with the pin basting and hand sewing the binding on. I will end up doing the rest including the machine quilting.


So Sunday I decided to work on the scraps instead of machine quilting those baby quilts. This pile doesn't look like much, but this is a day's worth of pressing trimming, and sorting scraps. This is not all the scrap sorting I have to do either. This will be a process that will take some time. I did toss out some real junkie scraps with no regrets. You have to draw the line somewhere. I feel pretty good about what I have accomplished so far. I even feel good about the kitchen floor being a heck of a lot cleaner than it was. I cleaned off a small shelf unit and now have the boxes set up for easy access - there is the patches box, selvelge box, and pieced off cuts box. If the scrap doesn't fit in one of these catagories it will probably be tossed out.


Now mentally I am prepping for the snow we are suppose to get - somewhere between 2" and 2'. Well, I guess that is a big enough range the weathermen will be right no matter what happens! Freezing rain for Wednesday so let the games begin!

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

Oh please, your friend could make 45 queen quilts with my stash and there would be no evidence of fabric missing! lol! My husband is so excited about your storm. I hope it doesn't turn into what he expects!