Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Cleaning, designing, and cookies - Oh my!

I have a fellow coming tonight to look at my wood floors that have needed refinished every since I bought the house. The house was built in the early 60's and the floors have never been refinished. I spent lunchtime yesterday and last evening cleaning up and clearing out stuff in the living room and two bedrooms that need to be done. I will work at lunchtime again today and then it is what it is.

I did make some bar cookies last night to give to the custodians and secretaries at the school. They have all been so nice since I moved into the high school. I got the recipe from Dessert for Two. They are a Twix type cookie bar. The caramel was quite hard after they had sat in the refrigerator all night so they were hard to cut, but they are rich and tasted good. Since I cut them while they were still cold - I let them set out for about an hour, but that was not long enough for them to come to room temp - so they kind of fell apart a bit. Lesson learned.

I was up early and just had to start designing the next herringbone quilt. I already had a bunch of pieces cut out, but I needed to trim the length and here is why. The first quilt I made the pieces were cut 4 1/2" x 18 1/2". The width of the quilt after I just trimmed off the pointed sides was 48". Way to wide for regular width fabric for the backing. I ended up trimming off 4" on each side.

The next quilt, the ombre one I just posted yesterday, I cut the pieces 4 1/2" x 17 1/2". Once I trimmed the triangles off the sides the width of the quilt was 45". I ended up piecing the back.

For this third quilt I am trimming off the pieces I already have cut to 4 1/2" x 16 1/2". The width ought to end up after trimming off the triangles about 42" which is perfect for using regular quilting fabric for the back. I found that 12 rows gives me a length of 53" after trimming. So here is the third and hopefully the perfect size. My thought for this one is to have a dark row, a medium row, a dark row, a light row, a dark row, a medium row, etc.

I am going to have to cut out more pieces. Now that I know what the perfect size is I will probably cut enough for two or three more quilts. I have this one pink fabric that almost looks brownish when I put it with the other pinks. It is the 6th piece down on the right

2 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love that they are all different. Shows you how versatile the pattern is. Now I really want to make some!

Janice Holton said...

You are so persistent! I don't know that I would have the patience to make the same quilt three times in a row. You found the perfect formula!