Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Binding the flannel quilt

It took me longer than I thought it would to sew on the binding on the flannel quilt. Why? Well, it is heavy and big. I first gave the quilt a light pressing especially at the edges, lined up the binding one side at a time, pinned the binding, and then sew that side. I would repeat the process for each edge. Next was mitering the corners and then trimming each side. Lastly I pressed the binding and gently poked out the corners. Of course each time I worked on a different side it was like wrestling a bear turning all that fabric and weight to the side I needed to work on. Me and my big quilts! This one measured 84" x 105.5" before I started quilting it.

So now I am all ready to start hand stitching the binding.

I have already started thinking about what my next project will be. I have a music theme quilt pin basted and partially quilted. It is on the UFO list so maybe I will get it back out and start on it.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's going to be such a great quilt to have for the winter! Maybe you can put it on the bed this winter and hand stitch a bit of binding each night.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Wow, that really is a large quilt but how nice it will be to snuggle under it when the weather starts to get colder :)