Friday, December 4, 2015

Sewing rows together

I spent last evening trimming shirts and sewing the first two rows together. My process is to figure out which is the largest design in length in the row, and cut the rest of those shirt in that row to that length. I trimmed the sides square to the length and did not cut off too much as I wanted the width of the quilt to be around 6 1/2 to 7 feet. I played around until I got the shirts cut approximately the size I needed, sewed a few of them together, and kept laying them out on my big table. I would trim the sides bit by bit on the remaining shirts until I got the width where I wanted it. So even though I am using a ruler to trim the shirts, I am not concerning myself that the size of the shirts are the same in width - just length. This is the first time I am constructing a t-shirt this way. It is always interesting to try a new method. The shirts still look random and I like that.

I am planning on getting this top sewn together this weekend. I will have to wait until I get the Mickey Mouse "lankey" aka blanket from my sister before I can construct the back. She wants me to incorporate this into the back as my nephew took it everywhere with him. I gave her a hard time last night and told her she was slowing me down! I am sure I can find something else to work on this weekend.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Kaja said...

You are the second person I have seen doing the 31 day challenge - good luck keeping it up! I will enjoy watching you work on the t-shirt quilt; they always look like fun, though I have never made one.