Friday, April 6, 2018

A read

I was beat when I got home after work so I decided I would read the book "Welsh Quilts" I borrowed from the library.


It answered the question which came first the Welsh quilt or the Amish quilt as 1. I live in a state that is heavily Amish and have admired the simplicity of the designs, and I have seen Welsh quilts that look very Amish. The answer - the Welsh came first. The diamond in a square in the upper left is Welsh and was made in 1850. The first document Amish quilt was made in 1869.

I love the tan and blue one on the right. Made in c. 1900

And this red and white checkerboard quilt c. 1880

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Ann said...

They are always such striking quilts. I long to make one but am not sure I have that much good quilting in me. Ha. Enjoy your weekend.

Kaja said...

I know there's a book about cultural connections between Amish and Welsh quilters. I think it would be interesting to read.