Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Adding the borders and a tutorial of how I do it

Here is the current state of the Yo Gabba Gabba quilt. I have about half the borders sewn together in sections.

Here are more sections ready to be sewn together.

This is a simple border, but I like the chunky look of it. Here is how I do it.

Lay two pieces of fabric together, one on top of the other, with the right side up for both pieces. Make sure you have a straight edge at one end.

I laid out my cutting ruler on top of the fabric. I wanted the width of the fabric border around 7 inches - that gives me some extra for trimming the quilt once I have the top sewn together.

I turned the strip and now it is ready for slicing.

Now it is time to slice the strip into chunks.

Now take the pieces and sort them. Make sure to keep the pieces in order. After sorting they are ready to be sewn together. Cool chunky borders!

Tonight is our MQA meeting. I am the host and it will be all about the fabric we dyed on the 18th.

No comments: