Here is the result of Sunday's dyeing. It is what I call a one color 8 way graduated dye. The color I used was tobacco brown. I bought this dye from Pro Chem & Dye years ago.
Because I did not spend much time stirring the fabric in the dye solution, I ended up with variations. Here is what the darkest piece looks like. I like the unevenness of the dyeing and the marks left behind.
Last night I did a two color 8 way graduated dye. I used Fuchsia and mixing blue. Here are two of the measuring cylinders I use. They work great for measuring very small amounts of dye when I do more precise dyeing methods. I got these two glass cylinders years ago when I worked at a chemical plant from their no longer used equipment pile. The one is a 10 ml cylinder and the other is a 50 ml cylinder. Once I need to measure over 50 ml of dye, I use a glass measuring cup. You can buy plastic ones fairly cheap. The ones I have seen on-line are semi-opaque. I like the 10 ml one for measuring very small amounts of dye rather than using the 50 ml cylinder. I feel I get a more precise measurement.
Here are my gallon jugs with the dye measured out in each of them.
And here is the result. Every dyepot had the same amount of fuchsia in it. The variable was the amount of mixing blue I put in each pot. You can do this with any color combination. I need to play around with this more.
I am not sure what I am going to do tonight dye wise. Come back tomorrow and be surprised! Let me know if you have any questions - e-mail me. I would be glad to share the details and measurements as I am putting together some informational sheets for my group for Sunday.