Friday, April 30, 2010

Art Museum Lecture and mail

There was a lecture at the Akron Art Museum given by Tavia Nyong who is an assistant professor at New York University. I wasn't sure what the lecture was going to be about except in the newsletter dutch wax fabric was mentioned so I had to go. I love dutch wax fabrics and I use them in my quilts. Well, after attending I am still not sure what the lecture was about (picture a look of confusion on my face). He talked about dandies and what the word macroni meant (like in the song Yankee doodle dandie stuck a feather in his hat and called it marcroni - please don't ask me to explain - I am still at a loss). He did show a couple of slides showing art using dutch wax fabric so I was happy.

Here are some pictures of the mail I have been getting with the scraps for my Millennium quilt. I have to say thank you again to everyone who has helped me out with this. See the envelope with the selvage taped across it? That came from Karen at http://www.selvageblog.blogspot.com/ Then yesterday I got an envelope from Leeanne from New Zealand. The fabric she sent was very cool and she included a piece with the NZ flag on it. I has been so much fun everyday to see all the prints, feedsack, and vintage fabric which all will add so much to the finished piece.








I am looking forward to a productive weekend. Some of the items on the list are moving the great wall in the front yard, working on my Art Quilt Workbook exercises so I can send pictures of my completed homework to upstatelisa, and sewing together more baby quilt tops. I gave another girl baby quilt away last night so my stash of girl baby quilts is getting low. Have a great weekend!

No comments: