Monday, February 29, 2016

Cleaning progress, knitting, and a bit of sewing

First room I started on this weekend was the guest room. The bed is great for putting stuff and the room had just become a dumping ground. Here are the before pictures. There are quilts piled on the bed as well as clothes that I need to make quilts out of.

The after! I killed two birds with one stone as I finally made the new window treatments. I have had the fabric for over a year. This job was on my UFO list so I get to cross that one off.

I was going back and forth to the fabric storage room with quilts from the guest room. The two rooms are side by side. The fabric storage room was a mess too so I decided to clean it up as well. The shelves weren't in too bad of shape so I didn't do a whole lot there, but the center table, the floor, and closet were a wreck.

Here is the after. Much better!

I did gather up all the bins of scraps - four big bins and two smaller one. Oh my have I got some scraps! I stacked all the bins together. The three smaller bins to the left are bits from my Mother's stash. This is all that is left as I have used her stash up to make the family Xmas quilts every year. I have a few more scraps in a basket beside my sewing machine and this doesn't include the box of African fabric scraps. I wonder how many quilts I could make out of just these scraps?

I did use a lot of my scraps a few years ago when I made this queen sized step zig zag quilt and a bunch of baby sized step zig zag quilts, but obviously it didn't make much of a dent in my scrap heap!

The other thing that bothered me in my storage room is the number of wall quilts I have made that just sit in a closet. I need to find homes for them, but I am not sure how to go about that.

The lower level of the house is in pretty good shape now so tonight I will head upstairs. I don't have a lot that needs done other than some dishes and running the vacuum.

When I would get tired of cleaning I knitted. This pattern is from Purl Soho. I reduced the number of stitches to 25 since I have a short neck. There are three colors of yard that you just carry up being careful not to pull the yarn too tight or otherwise the sides would curl up. Every row is k1, p1, k1, p1, .... Very easy to knit. The pattern called for a size 7 needle, but I am using a 6 since I knit loose. The pattern calls for the scarf to be 72" long. This one is now 23.5" long.

I also got two labels made and got one sewn on. This pink quilt will be heading to a fellow in one of the bands my brother works for that just became a father.

2 comments:

QuiltSwissy said...

Wow, a whirlwind of cleaning! The only reason I keep things clean is because Frank bugs me. If I lived by myself I would live in a mountain of clutter that would need to be dug out with an earth mover! LOL.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Oh man, my guest room looks just like that!! And I have company coming in a couple of weeks. . . I will not be showing before and after pictures though! LOL Your room looks fantastic and I love that quilt on the bed!! I think you have motivated me, time to get the shovel out and find the bed in my guest room! HA