Monday, January 18, 2016

Finished scarf and the t-shirt quilt

Amelia Quilts and Maartje Quilts - your email address comes to me as noreply-comment@blogger.com. You need to enable your email address in your Google Blogger profile, then scroll down and SAVE. Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments on my first finish for 2016.

I got the scarf finished on Saturday. I just couldn't stop knitting. I didn't realize how much I missed knitting. The scarf is 9" wide by 71" long.

Unfortunately I tried it on and there is a bit too much scarf width wise for my short neck.

The pattern had called for 41 stitches and I had cut it down to 35, but once I fold the scarf in half it is just too much bulk. No problem, I will just knit another one! No I am not taking it apart! The lady that cuts my hair wants me to knit her a scarf so I will take it to her my next appointment and see if it works for her or if she needs a narrower one like the new one I started on Sunday. This one is 25 stitches which will be about 5 1/2" wide. I am using a size 6 needle.

My next quilting project is to finish my nephew's t-shirt quilt I started in November or December. It will be done before the deadline of March 4 when my sister comes to Ohio. The quilt is all pin basted and I had started free motion machine quilting it on my home machine a Pfaff 1475CD. One thing I forgot to do was use my nephew's baby blanket or as he called it a "lanky" as part of the back. So I spent a bit over an hour yesterday removing the pin basting from one corner of the quilt, cutting the backing, and sewing in the lanky.

Here is the lanky

I pulled the top and batting back and made a cut to remove the backing to the seam line.

The lanky wasn't wide enough so I had to trim the backing and attach a piece to the lanky. I has also interfaced the lanky since the fabric was pretty thin after lots of use and many washes.

I then sewed the lanky section back to the backing

Next was sewing the seam back together. You may wonder why I did not cut off the selvages. I prewash all my fabric and the salvages did not shrink up so I didn't bother cutting them off.

Next I straightened out the quilt, laid bricks to hold the quilt in place, and taped down the backing so I could pin baste the quilt back together.

Done and ready to quilt!

I worked on quilting it and I now am 39% done. The top row was already done, but I worked on the t-shirts down the right side yesterday.

I am going to try to get at least one or two t-shirts quilted each night so maybe I will be able to finish this one in the next two weeks. I would like to have at least two finishes for January and the t-shirt would be one UFO completed also.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I like that you are 39% done. Not 40, but 39! I feel sure you will have this 100% done by the end of the month.

QuiltSwissy said...

I still don't have a burning desire to get anything done for some reason. I will have to double up in another month......