Monday, May 18, 2015

T-shirt quilt, mowing, and Tour of California

I worked hard on the t-shirt quilt and now have 3/4 of it machine quilted. I ran out of the Signature brand black 40 wt. thread, but I had a cone of dark gray Signature 40 wt. and a spool of Aurifil 50 wt. black. Aurifil 50 wt. does not work in the bobbin of my machine at all so I just used the dark gray in the bobbin and the black Aurifil for the top thread and I was able to continue quilting.

I had to do something with the yard on Sunday. Saturday it had rained so that gave me one more day to figure out what I was going to do. I got out the manual that came with the mower when I bought it in 1985 and started reading to try and see if I could find any help. I cleaned a few spots on the mower and then fiddled with the throttle. The manual said if the mower won't start then the throttle needs adjusted. I did not know what the heck I was doing, but whatever I did worked! The mower ran just like old times! Here you can see how badly my grass in the front needed mowed.

I just kept on mowing and did the sides and the back also. It took me about an hour and a half to get it all done, but done it is for now!

As I quilted I watched the Giro d'Italia bike race and then later on the Tour of California in which two of my favorite riders were in - Peter Sagan and Mark Cavendish. The ToC is a one week event and yesterday was the final stage. Peter was 3 seconds out of the yellow jersey competition at the beginning of the day. The yellow jersey is for the overall fastest rider. The last stage was very fast, only 65 miles, and very flat. Here the fellows are thundering to the finish line. There were also time bonuses along the route and at the end so the boys were fighting for those bonuses the whole way.


The fellow sitting up is Mark Cavandish who won the stage; his fourth stage win in the ToC. See the fellow in the neon green helmet to the left? That is Peter Segan. Did he get enough time bonus points to win the yellow?

Here is an overhead shot of the finish. Still can't tell where Peter finished.

Let's go to the photo and yes, Peter got third which gave him enough bonus time to win the yellow jersey!

To celebrate let's ride down the street on one wheel

The Tour de France is only six weeks away and Peter looks to be in fine shape for that!

4 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

yay! I am glad your guy won! And I am glad your lawnmower worked!

We were at Carrie's house yesterday and Andrew had been trying to fix the mower for two days! It still won't start!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope your mower continues working without needing more tweaking.

Vicki W said...

Yay! You fixed it! Do you know that there's some big bike race coming to Richmond, VA in September? I don't know anything about it but heard about it recently.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

You are very industrious - both with the quilting thread and the lawn mower!! :) The quilt is looking great and so is the lawn! YAY for green!!