I have been looking at the clothes and fabric for Justin's quilt as they have hung on the design wall all summer.
The thoughts in my head were saying what if he doesn't like what I do? How am I going to design this/ What should it look like? Yes, all those self-doubts were creeping in. But then Justin has always loved everything I have done, so I need to put on my big girl pants and just dive in! The other mental roadblock was that I had too much fabric especially when this is going to be a smaller wall hanging. You know how I even make my baby quilts big so small is a challenge for me! Well, I was up early this morning and it hit me to start out by limiting myself to using one sleeve of each garment thus reducing the amount of fabric I had to work with. That worked and I started making parts.
After making the first cut into the first sleeve I feel so free and excited about this project! All the doubts are gone and it is full steam ahead! I will have to deal with the types of fabric that I am working with in a slightly different way when it comes to quilting this piece. There is a lot of poly/cotton blends which of course I never use, but this is a special project and I am excited to see what I learn from doing this. I would love to get it done by Nov. 22. I will be at the art museum that evening working an opening exhibit reception and I know Justin will be there.