Monday, October 3, 2016

Akron Art Prize, secret project update, and swag bag

Here is what my piece looked like hanging in the gallery.

No I did not win anything, but the people that I talked to on Saturday night who came by said they like the piece and were impressed with the workmanship. I don't believe a piece of textile art will ever win a prize, but that will not deter me from entering. I just have to start thinking about what I am going to do for next year's piece.

I did get some stitching done on the secret project on Sunday. Saturday I had the slows so not much got done. It is coming along though!

On Friday I got my sway bag for my Home Ticket for the Quilt Alliance event. The tote bags are just the best quality. I have the first one I ever got 4 years ago and it has held up beautifully with using it almost everyday. There was a very nice 12" clear plexi ruler, a guide for sewing machine needles, a spool of thread, a fat quarter of Kaffe Fasset fabric, a eight of a yard of free spirit fabric, a Cherrywood pen, and coupons.

The goodies also included two charm packs. Here are all my charm packs I have with the two new ones off to the right.

And there was one 5" square pack. I forgot what those are called. The new one is to the right

I have a stack of 5" packs that I have amassed over the years. I stacked them up with the new one. I wonder how many quilts I could make out of these?

The only issue I have with this pre-cuts is the 5" size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. So in order to mix the packs I would have to trim all the squares so they are the same size. Here you can see the difference in the sizes.

The other reason I never buy pre-cuts is I prewash all my fabric before cutting. These will just sit in the fabric storage room until I have time to play with them.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I'm glad you will continue to enter the art prize. They need to be educated about fiber art and that only happens when they see it!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Looks like you cleaned up with that swag bag!! I had a bunch of the pre cuts on a shelf in my closet. Above the water line.....I wonder where they are??? HMmmm.....someone must have taken them for booty.