Friday, April 15, 2016

That time of the year

It was a beautiful evening yesterday so I decided to start a bit of yard work. I first went around with week killer and sprayed the dandelions until I ran out. I needed to cut down the ornamental grass. This is a bigger job than one would think. I use my big trimmers - the ones you would use for a small branch - and hack my way thru the hundreds of grass shoots. They can be hard and woody so hand snips don't work very well. I needed to get last year's growth cut down before the new growth starts. It took three trips with the wheelbarrow to move the debris to the recycle pile. Here is what they looked like before and after.

I still have one more ornamental grass to trim, but instead of doing that I got out the weed wacker and edged the front. I didn't have any gas or additive for the mower, but I thought the front would at least look better if I trimmed it. Here is along the sidewalk before and after

So I will be mowing the front this weekend. I can't do the sides or the back until I pick up about a million sticks that have accumulated over the winter. After trimming I had to get 3,000 more steps in to get my 10,000 for the day before I could go inside and sew. I was pretty tired so I wound some bobbins and didn't do any quilting until this morning before work. At least I got it started!

The weather is suppose to be beautiful this weekend, I have so much I want to do - work in the yard, work on the house, sew. It is hard to fit it all in. I may take a half day vacation this afternoon to get an early start to the weekend.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Have a great weekend! Now that my website is done I can get back to doing fun things. I also need to start spraying Roundup and spreading Preen. That's the extent of my yard work.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love the quilting! That is one of my favorite things, back and forth, loop and loop. It looks so fabulous in backgrounds like skies and fields.

This year our Aztec grasses didn't go dormant......now i think there is a snake hiding in there. He came out and looked at me yesterday.......I gave Frank the ultimatum.....one of us goes.