Monday, November 3, 2014

So much to do!

What I got done this weekend.

I moved the DP flannel quilt over to the big design wall since I took the Moda Halloween quilt top down as it is done. I managed to get the first two sections of the DP quilt sewn together and laid out the next two sections.

Here is a look at the back of my blocks. I pressed open the curved seam, but the rest of the seams are pressed to the side. When I cross a seam I clip off the corners to grade the seam and get some of the bulk out of those areas. It will make it easier to quilt. I also press with lots of seam to get the seams as flat as possible.

I also sew smaller stitches (1.5) at the beginning of a straight row and at the end of the row switching to regular sized stitches in between. I do this to keep the seams from coming apart with handling. It is hard to see in this picture as the thread gets buried in the flannel. There is nothing worse than having to go back and sew again seams that pop open!

Life took a turn on Saturday. There is a fellow doing concrete work in the neighborhood and he came over Saturday afternoon to give me a estimate. I have as issue with the foundation on the garage due to the previous homeowners who let the water run next to the foundation for years which caused it to settle, crack, and slip. This also caused all the concrete in the garage to crack.

When I moved in I put gutters and downspouts on the house and garage. Since then the movement stopped. So I am getting this fixed plus running a underground drain for the downspouts at the corner of the house and garage so you don't have to step over the downspout to get to the front sidewalk.

So in the next two weeks I have to relocate everything in my garage! Holy cow! Wish me luck with that one! As if I already didn't have enough to do!

I did finish sewing together the Moda Halloween quilt top. I ended up moving a few more blocks around and I like the result. I don't have a picture of the whole top as I didn't bother to hang it back up on the design wall after I trimmed it. You can see here there is a green block in the corner - it wasn't there before.

On Sunday I should of have been working on the Halloween quilt, but I ended up at my brother's house with my other brother, Mike, cleaning up leaves for the city to pick up. Mike had his blower and I raked the heavier wet stuff into the driveway.

One of the neighbors came out and said pu wasn't until the 21st - I thought I read it was the 4th. Oh well, we got it cleaned up for now. Here are a couple of shots showing how many leaves are still on his trees.

When I got back to my house the sun was shinning and it was too pretty to go inside and sew, so I decided to work outside at bit. I had to put the fence back up around my small pine tree before winter so nobody would step on it, but I needed to mow the grass before I did that. The mower didn't want to start and I must have pulled that cord 50 times before it finally turned over.

Then there is this pile of sweet peat that I have to move before the concrete work is started. I took six wheelbarrow loads to a place in the back of the house I am storing it for next spring. Looks like it will take 12 to 18 more loads to move the whole pile. I will try to do a few loads each night to spread the work out.
Here is what the pile looks like now.

I also spent a couple of hours cleaning out the garage. I got one corner sorted out and right now I am just trying to figure out what to do. I am trying to use the mindset to clean it out as if I was moving and if I haven't used it I need to get rid of it. Mike is coming over on Friday morning to help me move the closet doors out of the garage and install them. That will be a big item gone from the garage. I hope by next Monday the garage looks a lot emptier than it does here. I am suppose to be working on the Halloween quilt! I got something to eat and ended up in the kitchen for about 1 1/2 hours get food ready for the week. I had been up at 5 am and by 7 p.m. I was exhausted!

I did get the backing washed for the Moda Halloween quilt - by the way it is Moda backing. I pressed it this morning before I went to work and it is ready for taping down.


Vicki W said...

You sure did get side tracked! I need to call a mason to come out and fix some cracks for us too. We fixed the water issues but when we had the earthquake a few years ago we got a couple more cracks.

QuiltSwissy said...

think of all the calories you burned! I bet you slept good though!

your flannel looks really good. Just wonky enough to be interesting and yet not to keep you awake! LOL

Exuberant Color said...

Your DP quilt looks great!

Holy Cow! Move everything out of the garage? I can't even imagine doing that.