Friday, October 19, 2018

Bubba gets a haircut

I was tired last evening from being woken up by the water department flushing the fire hydrant at 11:51 p.m. Wednesday night. I am on what is call a dead head hydrant. This is a hydrant that is not on the loop but an off-shoot. When they open the hydrant fast is causes a phenomena called hammering. This hammering or vibration from the pipes shaking transfer into my house and it sounds like a NASCAR stock car is revving it's engine in my bedroom! Needless to say it wakes me up abruptly! This has happened in the past and I have called the water department to complain. They do a better job of slowly opening the hydrant or flushing it during the day, but then that stops and they do it in the middle of the night again. So in a nutshell is what I did to try and get some action:
1. called the water department at midnight to complain and they guy had me leave a voice mail for the supervisor
2. I call 311 around noon - the city information line since I had not received a response and they transferred me to water department. Somebody answered the phone, but everyone was in a meeting.
3. called the police department to file a complaint against the water department for disturbing the/my peace. Unless there was damage or something criminal no charges could be filed.
4. Called the city council lady - EUREKA! She was great. She listened to my issue and was sympathetic. She said you must be having a hard time at work with the lack of sleep. I said yes. It took me a while to get back to sleep after being startled. I gave her the history of my dealings with the water department over this issue for the last 15 years and she was impressed that I had three solutions to the problem. She is now trying to resolve the problem. Yeah!

Since I was tired I didn't want to do anything too strenuous in the yard so I decided to give Bubba a haircut. I have needed to do this so now was the time. Here are the before and after. You can hardly tell I did anything! LOL!! This is just the start of the haircut, but I did get a wheelbarrow of stuff cut out of the center area.

When I was working on Bubba my neighbor came home and I asked him if he heard the racket Wednesday night and he said yes. He had no idea what was going on. I gave him the council lady's phone number and asked him to call her to back up my story. He said he would so this might help the cause of solving the problem.

At work the concrete contractors are installing curb and curb with gutters. They were rockin' it yesterday! It is fun to watch the extruding machine that makes the curb.

The MRI room is getting it's next layer of FRP -fire resistant plywood - over the steel sheeting. The copper layer is starting on Tuesday so the guys have to get the FRP done!
Here are the sleepers they will attached the 4 x 8 sheets to.

Have a great weekend! I took two Excedrin to get thru today and I am looking forward to getting some sewing done this weekend.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is hard to believe the water dept. works at that late hour. They must have 2 shifts because that would be mega overtime here in my town. I hope you get lots of sleep over the weekend.