Monday, January 22, 2018

5th blue herringbone top done

It was a busy weekend. I did get the 5th top sewn together and I like how it turned out.

I am going to have to switch from making tops to getting these quilted. Anymore I don't like having unquilted tops laying around because in the past they have easily turned into UFOs! Here are the 5 tops.

Saturday I drove to Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio to get more casing and baseboard. One way takes about an hour and twenty minues I also ordered a door for a closet and some baseboard in longer lengths which they will deliver in a couple weeks. On my way back I stopped at the bulk food store in Sugarcreek to get some spices and nuts. Here is what I brought home from the lumber yard.

I needed to sort all of this out using my lists and room layouts that I drew. I marked each piece on the back where it needed to be installed and grouped those pieces together

I want to get the living room finished first so I laid out what I needed and primed those pieces. I had enough room on the sawhorses for a few more pieces so I also primed the casing for the window in the studio.

Painting and installing trim every night will be the norm for the next week. Tonight will be giving these pieces a light sanding and then putting on the first coat of finish paint.

I have a neighbor who is a painter by trade and he stopped over last evening to look at the high areas I need help with - the ceiling and the entry. He is going to come Wednesday evening. That will be huge to get that done!

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you are getting the help you need with those high areas to paint. It will probably be a relief to do some quilting as a break from the baseboard job.

Ann said...

So glad things are moving apace at home and in quilting.
Lately I've been pin basting three or four quilts at the same time - using all of one batt and any leftover scraps needed to complete that last one. I started mine by pinning an older top everytime I pinned a new one. Just to clear out the UFOs. And it's working! I'm moving through the quilting, clearing out larger old pieces for backs, and clearing a huge backlog of small bits of batt. I think you'll be happy with this plan.

Vicki W said...

I am so impressed with how much of this you are doing on your own. Go girl!