Friday, November 10, 2017

Looking so much better!

I spent 3 hours working in the garage again and I feel like I am finally starting to make a dent in the mess! I worked on the left side and it looks so much better! Here is the before

And here is the after. Again I tried to be brutal and get rid of stuff either trashing it or putting in the donate pile. The bin on the right is empty with four other boxes that are now empty!

Two things I found that I want to know if there is someone out there is interested in. I have the ruler and book for the Square in a Square method of piecing - never used! I would be glad to pass it on for the cost of shipping.

The other thing I have is a vintage beaded purse. Some of the beads are falling off the strap, but otherwise it is in good condition. Maybe someone could repair it. Again for the cost of shipping I would be glad to pass this on to someone. I remember bringing this home when I helped my parent clean out my Dad's mother's house. I have no knowledge of its history.


I did work on the herringbone quilt this morning before work. I have a couple more tips for you in case you might be interested in making one of these. It gets to be a challenge to move the row back and forth to the sewing machine once it starts getting longer so I folded up and pinned the sewn rows. This makes it much easier to move.

See the small piece at the top of the left column?

I wanted to make sure the quilt was long enough and so I added this small piece. If I had added a full sized piece, most of it would be cut off when I trimmed the quilt and I only had a couple of 4.5" squares of this fabric which I sewed together to make it big enough. To figure out where to sew the small piece I measure the off set of the previous row

Then I off set the small piece that distance

Here is the left column all sewn together. I pinned up a measuring tape so you could see how and why I added this small piece. Doing this I realize I need to do the same thing to the top of the far right row.

Look at the size of this leaf I found in my yard from the neighbor's tree! Glen, you need to print with a leaf this size LOL!!!!


I have a lot I want to get done this weekend; a list longer than humanly possible, but I will give it my best shot! Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a huge leaf! I'm glad none of my neighbors have a tree like that because it seems the leaves always end up in my yard.

Janice Holton said...

Oh I have a thing for vintage things! I would be honored to inherit your beaded purse. I would probably hang it in my quilting room somewhere. So cool!

swooze said...

I’d like a shot at that purse. I️ love restoring textiles

Kaja said...

How big is the tree?!!! Well done on your garage clearing; I hope you make good progress on the rest of your list.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Whoa! I LOVE that leaf....