Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Half day vacation?

The weather is beautiful in NE Ohio for this time of the year. It was in the low 60's yesterday so it was time to take a half day vacation and get some outside work done. I bought these screen gutter covers earlier this year but didn't install them.
I wanted to replace the gutter covers that are on the house as the plastic is disintegrating. After about 2 hours of messing around trying to get these installed on the garage where I can reach with a ladder, this is what I ended up with - four inches short! I think the measurements for the pieces didn't include that there was an 1" overlap and that is why I was short!
These were not easy to install and I had to mess with them to get them screwed to the gutter. I was so mad I ended up going with Plan B which was to take the screens off and install Gutter Brush.
I had bought a box of Gutter Brush awhile ago, but now I will have to buy more to do the house. As far as I am concerned Mike Holmes can take his endorsed screen and shove them where the sun doesn't shine!!! I boxed the screens and screws back up and it will go in the donation pile for the Habitat resale store.

Next I needed to clean up one of the flower beds. The day lilies had died back and there were some dead weeds had needed to be removed.
I also needed to remove this over gown Alberta spruce. I have a electric chain saw so I used that to cut it down.

I needed the wheelbarrow to haul the spruce to the compost pile. I had forgotten I had tossed some vinca I had salvaged in the wheelbarrow so I had to plant what had survived before I could use the wheelbarrow.

As I hauled the spruce to the back I hauled a load of sweet peat from the back to the flower bed. Two loads of very wet sweet peat and the front looked much better. There is no way I could get the stump out so I drilled some holes in it, poured some bleach on it, and I will wait until spring to see if I can get it out.

I was getting tired by this point but I had one more job to do. See this empty spot in the garage?

I now have a paper towel holder. My brother gave me a huge pack of paper towels that he salvaged from a house he was helping to empty. The only issue with the towels is they have a musty smell so I won't be using them in the house, but they make perfect garage towels for checking oil, etc.

By 4 p.m. I was tired so I headed inside to get something to eat. I need to learn to pace myself better because I could only think about doing any sewing. I was up early this morning and got the binding partly sewn on the gray and pink herringbone quilt. I will get it trimmed and stitched tonight.

Now that is what I call a vacation! LOL!!! I plan on taking another half day today. I need to get as much cleared out of the living room as I can so I can finish painting it before the floor guy comes. I also need to move out all I can out of the bedrooms too so there will be many trips up and down the steps this afternoon.



3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is my idea of a vacation too, a day to get caught up on everything.

Vicki W said...

I have a ton of things that I need to do around here too but I'm not motivated enough yet!

Kaja said...

Hard work, but that sort of day always leaves you feeling good. Jobs well done.