Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Going deep

I am working on my second prototype for a baby herringbone quilt. Here is what I had at the beginning of my evening last night. My goal for this one is to figure out how I could incorporate the medium fabrics.

As I was cutting fabric I realized I needed more lights and mediums so I dug out my scrap box labeled PINK. I did find a couple pieces that were big enough that would work

But then there were several pieces that were not big enough so I did what women have done for a long time; I sewed the pieces together to make it big enough. Once the quilt is quilting no one will ever see the seam

I still needed more fabrics. I am trying not to repeat a fabric so I decided I needed to go deep, deep into my tubs of scraps to see what I may have. Here are most of my scrap tubs and I drug out one more after I had taken this picture; yes I still have a couple more I didn't bring out!

I decided to go thru the two smaller containers of print fabric first and sort by color. I set the solids fabric container aside and added to it. This is going to be a big job sorting years and years of scraps! I tried to be brutal and toss the stuff I know I would never use. Some of the scraps were from my Mom. I dug thru the larger bins giving a quick look to see it there were any pink fabrics. This will be a good job to sort these when I am watching Live PD on Friday and Saturday nights. So now here is the current status of my scraps

In the meantime I kept cutting fabrics and here is what the next herringbone quilt will look like

I have a bunch of pieces still that I cut that I can use for the next quilt. I think I will have to change up the color story a bit since I don't have many lights left.

When I was digging thru the pink scraps I found this piece made with cotton squares alternated with linen squares. It is only 20" x 26.5". I will have to finish this. I like the way it looks.

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the gradations in this one.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

What a great find, the little pink and grey,piece! Love your gradations in this herringbone #2

Vicki W said...

Ooooh, I like the gradient effect!

Kaja said...

Your fabric storage looks a lot like mine!