Monday, September 18, 2017

Hight Arts opening, fabric, work, and baseball

Friday night I attended the opening of the High Arts Prize for a couple hours. I ran into a couple of people I hadn't seen in awhile and talk to a lot of new people. I received a good response from many different people on my R.E.M. piece and it was hung so much better than my pieces were hung the last two years. I couldn't stay the whole time because I needed to go to work on Saturday. I didn't have time to walk around and see all the art, but I will go back and post pictures.

Saturday the asphalt pavers were starting on the base layer for the parking lot, track and basketball court. I stayed for about 5 hours and went home. I went back about 4 just to see how far they had gotten. It was 85 degrees and with hot asphalt, it was quite warm.

I did manage to get that blue and taupe log cabin quilt pin basted, but it was a struggle. I was tired. Sunday I quilted on it all day. I decided to start using up my Sulky rayon thread that I don't use much any more. I did the logs with a variegated cream to taupe thread, the taupe border with a solid matching color, and the blue border I meandered with a blue variegated thread. I had matching solid colored cotton thread in the bobbin.

All I have left to quilt is the taupe and blue border at one end. I had trimmed the blue border down about 1 1/2" before I had pin basted. The border was a bit too wide.

I even managed to find the binding fabric I had chosen 20 years ago for this quilt!

While I quilted I watched the Indians game. Before the game they hung the Central Division Champion flag - they had clinched when Minnesota had lost on Saturday night - and then the players got to celebrate the division win after the game.

My fabric arrived that I ordered from eQuilters. They were having a sale and I found three fabrics with skulls that I could use for the backs of Harley quilts. I bought 6 1/4 yards of each.

For some reason this morning my car wouldn't start - it was just clicking. Time to test the Halo! I had bought a Halo for the portable charging and that it could start a car. I read the instructions, hooked it up and BAM the car started! I will have to investigate why the battery was dead, but I am happy that my investment of buying the Halo paid off.

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You really got a lot done on the quilting on Sunday.

Isn't it nice that the Halo worked and you didn't have to call anyone to help? It will pay for itself for sure.

Vicki W said...

The quilt looks great in the exhibit!

Kaja said...

The quilt looks great. I haven't heard of a Halo, but it look like a very handy thing to have.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love seeing your quilt hanging in the show! It makes all our work worth it, huh! The quilting on the log cabin quilt is one of my favorite patterns. You can just lull yourself into Quilting La La Land! Good for you for having the foresight to buy that Halo!