I posted this quilt last week when I had finished it, but I am making another post for the AHIQ fourth Tuesday of the month posting on both Kaja's Sew Slowly and Ann's Fret Not Yourself blogs. This quilt started out as this - just a pile of my neighbor's jeans
Because they put their house up for sale I needed to get the quilt done for Father's Day instead of for his birthday which is in November. My thought process was to use the backs of the jeans for the main body. Then to follow the guidelines of using two different blocks in a quilt for this quarter's AHIQ challenge I would add a section of blocks to lengthen the quilt. For the blocks I wanted to make simple, large scale blocks because denim is heavy and I wanted as few seams as possible. The improv striped blocks and drunkard path blocks would work. I used the fronts of the jeans for making them.
I free motion quilted it and made the triple loop design large or otherwise the quilt would be to stiff and firm. Here is the back.
It was hard trying to quilt around the pockets, but I got as close to them as possible. I finished the quilt off with a batik striped binding. I used Warm & Natural for the batting, Essentials in the bobbin, and Auriful for the top thread. I had saved most of the labels and used those to cover holes in the jeans and for decoration. The quilt ended up 74" x 82".