Monday, March 20, 2017

6th finish of 2017

I got my AHIQ project done this weekend. It finished at 60.5 X 69.

I made the best batch ever of yogurt yesterday. I decided to leave my milk with starter in the big stock pot I heated the milk in and keep it warm by wrapping it a towel, then turning on the electric blanket on my bed, and wrapping the pot in the quilts on my bed. I used whole milk and the yield was impressive. I used some of it this morning in my smoothie and it was great.

I have a question - what is the best way to get the musty smell out of fabric? I have some vintage fabric that was given to me and it has a musty smell.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Musty smelling fabric: I usually try spritzing and putting it in the dryer for 10 minutes first. If that doesn't take the smell out I wash it with pure soap (Orvis). If it isn't washable I think hanging it outside in the fresh air for 24 hours might do it.

QuiltSwissy said...

I use a lot of vinegar! I wash the quilts and fabric coming home in a up of vinegar along with my fragrance free detergent with Oxi. If you like the idea of oxi just use hydrogen peroxide. Oxi is just powdered hydrogen peroxide. I buy it by the gallon if I can find it or by the quart at Walmart for 88 cents. Way cheaper than the commercial products and none of the smelly stuff!

QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, yes....the quilt finish! I was afraid the multiple colors would overtake the quilt so I have been watching in earnest. Delightfully, I see that it does not. But it adds an interest that is, well almost ethereal looking. I approve!

Vicki W said...

I'm glad Wanda has advice for the fabric because, aside from a complete washing, I have no idea. But I do love the quilt!

Kaja said...

I have been looking forward to seeing this done. Congratulations. It's worked really well - I like the mix of horizontal and vertical strip sets a lot, and the quilting is amazing.