Monday, February 20, 2017

Chinese Coin quilt progress

I spent the majority of my Saturday and Sunday working on my Chinese Coin quilt. Here is what my design wall looked like shortly after I had already started sewing pieces together.

Since the premise of this challenge was based on improv piecing, there was no way I was sewing straight edges together. What I did was the following:
first I cut the edge of the fabric at an angle

Second I overlapped the angled edges over the piece I was attaching. I then made sure the edges at the top met and used my rotary cutter to trace the edge of the cut angle onto the underlying piece of fabric. The fabric does not have to line up at the bottom as I will be sewing from the top to the bottom.

Here you can see how the two pieces nest into each other

Here is the section after it was sewn and pressed. This is how I sewed all the pieces together. I call this technique tracing.

Here is what I have so far. This section is about 44" by 71"

I also got a bit of hand quilting done on the nine patch star quilt.

1 comment:

Kaja said...

I like your colour scheme, and the subtle curves.