Monday, November 28, 2016

18th finish for 2016/OMG one monthly goal done!

What a busy four days! I didn't go anywhere for Thanksgiving, but my neighbor brought me a plate of leftovers from her big gathering and later on the kids brought me a piece of pie! It was enough for several meals.

I got the tea towel quilt done. I was digging thru the fabric storage room and found a piece of fabric my brother had brought back from Australia for me and I decided to use that for the binding. The quilt ended up 69" x 76".

When it wasn't raining I did some yard work. I needed to rake leaves, but I wanted to do something with my compost pile. I just kept dumping leaves and grass on the compost pile and never spent the time to mix or turnover the pile. I had some poles and plastic fencing so I got to work. Here is the compost pile before.

And here is what it looks like now. The red weathered fence belongs to my neighbor.

The vegetation was packed down so tightly that the moisture never would penetrate the layers. Here you can see that there were leaves on top, then greener grass, and below that were layers of matted grass. I tore thru what I could to move and mix with new leaves in the newly fenced areas. I did get down to dirt/compost and hauled one wheelbarrow full over to where I plan on transplanting the cora bells from out front.

I remember there were a few pieces of concrete at the end of the compost bed, but there was a lot more I had to dig out than I remember being there! That was hard work! Now I have to figure out what to do with all of this

I did get this area cleaned up - before

after

I continued to work my way down the hill

I need to get a baby quilt done for a friend of my sister so I cut batting and backing for all 5 baby quilt tops I have. I got two of them pin basted

and here are the other three for assembly

I still need to cut binding, but I was so tired I couldn't think anymore. I also spent some time cleaning the house which needed done badly! I'm tired!

5 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow you were very busy.......I was mostly sick. Feel like a tractor ran over me today. Love the finish, you did a great job pulling all those elements together.

Vicki W said...

Oh my, you were incredibly productive! I didn't get a lot done but had a nice, relaxing visit with a friend so I can't complain! The quilt turned out great. Does it have an intended home?

Kaja said...

Wow, you got a lot done in one day- good thing your neighbours brought you some food! I love how the tea towel quilt has turned out,andyou chose a great binding fabric. I like how the pale inner border and the checkerboard border balance out the strong blacks and reds and ochres so well.

Patty said...

Neat quilt. Congrats on your finish and thanks for linking up with One Monthly Goal.

Brenda said...

the quilt looks great! Glad I sent you the tea towel because I still wouldn't have gotten around to using it. what will you do with the quilt?