Friday, September 9, 2016

The flannel mission continues

I got another 23 units sewn and cut last evening.

I am getting down to the point where I trim scraps into 3" x 3" squares, match them up, and will sew them together into blocks. I have very little of the plaids left where I can sew strips together. I have enough for seven blocks laid out by the sewing machine with one being strips.

So with these 7 blocks I have 82 blocks of which 50 are needed for the flannel quilt on the design wall. 32 blocks are not enough to do much with so I went digging and hunting again for more plaid flannels. I have this red plaid flannel which I love. The piece is 64" wide and 2 yards long. Yes, that is correct 64" wide! Married up to a solid, I could get 7 blocks from one strip! I may have to cut a couple of those.

Then I have this yellow plaid piece that I love too. I have a yard and a third of it. Looks like I will cut a couple strips from it.

I found these scraps buried in the pink flannels. I will get maybe 10 blocks out of them!

There was also this small piece of pink and yellow windowpane check.

I remembered I made myself a flannel shirt years and years ago. I found it and since I probably will never be thin enough to wear it again I am going to cut it up. I will get lots of blocks out of it!

Now that I have found more plaids, my solids are dwindling and I won't have enough of those to marry up to the plaids.

I have this piece that was for a back, but I needed to make the quilt that it was earmarked for bigger so this back would not work and got set aside. I will cut the solid sides into strips and cut a few strips of plaid too.

But I am going to need more solids! Well, then I thought I will just take the white and off white pieces of flannel and dye them! There is also a piece of white with pale blue stars that will get dyed too.

Lastly, I will go thru my scrap bins to see if there is any flannel scraps in them.

Have a great weekend!


1 comment:

Nicky said...

I'm intrigued by your photo and have looked a few posts earlier to see if I could work out what you are making but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if you link up again..? Or will you tell me? Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday and giving me a mystery to ponder on....