Thursday, April 7, 2016

Deconstruction continues and how to save your Easter Lily

I got the lighter blue jeans all taken apart last evening. I then started on taking a pair of Docker style pants apart. I want to add a bit of the khaki fabric and not use just all denim.

I have two more pair I will deconstruct - a medium color and a light color - and then I think I will be ready to make the quilt.

I did get a bit of knitting done also. My red scarf is now 5" long. Since it has been rather cold the last couple of day I did get to use my new gray scarf and I have to say I love it! It is warm, just the right width for my short neck, and I love the texture that the seed stitch gives it. I am knitting the red scarf with the seed stitch also. I am using size 4 needles. I knit on the loose side so I need to use smaller needles.

I also spent some time looking over this book. I love cookies! I have marked as you can see with the pieces of post-it-notes sticking out the top of the book, recipes that I want to try. I borrowed several books from the library on cookies. Some of the books didn't have pictures of the cookies with the recipes which I don't like. The MS book had a beautiful colored picture for every cookie in the book.

I found this information on-line on what to do with your Easter Lily to save it for next year. I am going to print this off, post it on my fridge, and try to remember to do as it says.

Step 1
Allow your Easter Lily plant to completely bloom. When the last flower has begun to wilt and die, carefully cut the flower off.
Step 2
Trim up any dead leaves or stalks on the plant with the scissors. Don't cut too short into the leaves because this may actually kill the plant entirely. Only trim off the dead portions.
Step 3
Keep the plant indoors until the temperature outside warms up, and there is no longer a threat of a freeze. If you plan on keeping the plant indoors entirely, you can simply keep it in its current environment.
Step 4
Water the Easter Lily regularly, and add fertilizer to the plant once a month. This will keep essential nutrients in the soil and feed the plant. In addition, you will also want to keep the plant in regular sunlight for at least 8 hours a day. Lilies like "their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun" according to many gardeners, so they like to have deep roots, at least 2 inches below the soil, but they also like regular sun exposure.
Step 5
Plant the Easter Lily in an outdoor location where it will get regular sunlight, water and plenty of nutrient rich soil. There should no longer be a threat of a freeze outside when the Lilies are planted. The Lilies will probably not bloom the first year that they are planted, however you should get a bloom the following June or July after planting.
Step 6
Prepare the Lily plant for winter. Trim back any additional dead leaves and sprouts and heavily mulch over the plant. Cover the plant with 4 to 8 inches of mulch to help protect it from heavy cold over the winter. The colder your winters get, the more mulch you should place over your plant, but there's no need to exceed the 8-inch mulch mark

No comments: