Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Next project - DWR - it never ends!

My next project is to finished this DWR quilt for an acquaintance. Someone in her family had it "finished" and oh what an awful job they did. Remember these pictures with the back rolled over the front and zig zagged for the binding? What the heck?

My friend, Stephanie, took the backing off and pulled out the horrible quilting in trade with me that I quilted a quilt for her. I think I got the better end of that deal! So last night I was looking the quilt over and it needs some repair work done. The quilt is hand pieced, not very well, and it was coming apart in places. On top of that the person that finished it had use a very sticky basting spray so it was hard to stitch the repairs. The other thing they did was use too hot of an iron and they melted some of the fabric. That pink fabric is polyester blend. I have most of the repairs done. I think I am going to have to wash the top to try and get rid of the sticky residue so I can press the top before I quilt it.

I looked in my stash for some yardage for the backing. I emailed the owner of the quilt with these choices to see if any of them would work for her.

I also asked her about the quilting. I would like to do an overall design so I can nail down the top because the hand piecing is not very good and I could work in the excess fabric.

There is plenty to do until I hear from her.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nice!

Vicki W said...

You, my friend, are a glutton for punishment!

QuiltSwissy said...

Wow! You sure are taking on some interesting projects! I am learning so much just from listening. thanks for sharing these quilts and your fixes.

It is quite an interesting quilt, for sure!