Tuesday, September 8, 2015

13th finish for 2015

It was intense, but I managed to get the t-shirt quilt done in time for my sister to take it with her back to Georgia. I sat at the cookout on Saturday still hand sewing the binding, but I got it done! It was dark after my sister, her husband, and I got back to my house so I could take a picture of it so the lighting is not the best.

My sister and her husband came over on Sunday morning for a bit before they left to go visit his family. The house seemed so empty, so I needed to find something to do. I decided to quilt the drunkard's path flannel quilt top I had made in November 2014. Remember this?

I got the backing put together on Sunday and had it pin basted by the end of the day. I wound lots of bobbins and started quilting it. By 6:30 p.m. on Monday I had 40% of it free motion machine quilted. The quilt is 84" x 105.5". I am using a dark red King Tut thread, but I needed to used some Connecting Threads Essential for bobbins to make sure I was going to have enough King Tut for the top. I have already used almost an entire cone of King Tut and I am not half way done! This quilt right now is earmarked for my bed for the winter coming up. I used flannel for the backing too so it will be nice and warm! I am now at 40% of the quilting done.

Getting this quilt done will reduce my stash which has increased a bit lately and it will be one more project I can cross of the UFO list.

4 comments:

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

YAY!! It looks great! I'm sure your niece will be so surprised and excited to get her quilt :)

Your flannel quilt looks very snuggly!! Isn't it amazing how some all over designs can just eat up that thread??!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you got the t-shirt quilt done so you don't have to ship it. You will love a flannel quilt on your bed in the winter. I have my favorite one that is so warm.

Vicki W said...

Congratulations on getting your niece's quilt done! Now you can work on your own quilts.....I hope.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

It is so wonderful! Congratulations on your finish.

And thanks for your words about my mother.