Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Another project started and a horrible crash

My next project is a baby quilt for the bass player in my nephew's band. Michael always introduces him as the motorcycle minister because he rides a motorcycle and is a part time minister. There was some reason the universe was telling me to buy that pink fabric with the skull and crossbones a while ago and now the reason has been reveled to me! I improv cut the fabrics and here are the blocks laid out on the design wall. The quilt will look nothing like this when done.

I watched the TDF last evening. I tape the live broadcast and then watch it at lunch and when I get home from work. There was a horrible crash yesterday which involved at least 20 riders that were going 33 - 34 miles an hour. Maybe you saw it on the news last night? The officials stopped the race, which in all my years of watching the tour, I have never seen happened before. The reason why they did this is because all the doctors and ambulances were taking care of the crash victims and if another crash would happen there would be no one to take care of those riders. In fact, shortly after this crash there was another crash, but there were no TV cameras or doctors to take care of those riders. The race was held up for about 18 minutes and then the whole group got rolling again. Three riders had to abandon, broken wrist, either a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone, and a head injury and bleeding. The bleeding and head injury rider had hit the light pole. The rest of the riders including the yellow jersey picked themselves up and caught up to the stopped riders.
One rider dislocated his shoulder, they popped it back into place, and he got back on his bide and rode to the finish. If you don't finish you don't get to ride the next day. There will be a lot of sore bodies on the road for the next couple of days.

This cloud
dumped a bit of rain last evening, but I was able to go out at 8 p.m. to get the rest of my steps in. It was so humid I could hardly breath.

2 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

We saw the crash on the news last night. For a while there you were talking about the Motorcycle Minister and I thought HE had crashed! Glad he didn't though.

Love those pink skulls!

Vicki W said...

Wow, that's some crash! The baby quilt is going to be really cute. Glad you had the skull fabric!