Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A huge job and I need to make cookies

I have volunteered to scan, organize, and archive family photos from my parents house. I volunteered because I didn't want my older sister to get her hands on them when I know she would not do anything with them although she would promise that she would take care of it. I bought some archival sheet protectors to start out with and I will have to buy materials as I figure out how to handle all of this material.

Here are the four boxes with all the photo, birth and death certificates, diplomas, and letters. I it is going to be a big job.

I also now have my Mom's cookie press. I remember as a kid sitting at the table cutting maraschino cherries into tiny pieces for decorating the trees and wreaths. Mom always called these cookie press cookies and she would make hundreds of these at Xmas to give away to my Dad's bosses and co-workers. I can remember riding in the car as we went from house to house delivering the paper plates of cookies. The press is in it's original box and it looks like all the pieces are still in the box!

Wands of Exuberant Color - I may need your recipe since there wasn't one in the box and some of your best tips so I can be successful making these cookies for Xmas this year. I never made these before; I only cut the cherries!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite an archiving job you've taken on with your family photos. My husband did this for his siblings. He bought a higher grade scanner than you get with those all in one printer/scanners. I recall the key was developing a consistent labeling system. I'd recommend scanning them at at least 300 dpi (that's dots per inch) to retain detail. You can save your scans to a computer hard drive or a thumb drive, or print them on a CD for sharing. As for the cookie press, I recall a recipe in my old Joy of Cooking for spritz cookie press cookies so let me know if you want it.

Vicki W said...

Wow, that's big job but I totally understand your reasoning! Just tackle it a couple of hours a week at a time so you don't get overwhelmed and burned out. Maybe it will be a good task for deep summer when it's too hot to be outside.....if it actually gets that hot this year.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is just like the cookie press I had when I got married 55 years ago. I'll send you the recipe later today.