Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sewing those long seams

I got three rows of the ocean attached to the sky.

Now I will show you my process. I first laid the ocean and the sky out on my big table.

Next I laid the ocean over the sky as close as possible to the edge of the sky so I don't cut too much of the sky off. The ocean edge is straighter because it is the top edge of the units. The sky is the bottom edge where I didn't need to have the pieces match at the bottom. I smoothed out the ocean and sky sections and squared them up by eyeball with the edges of the table.

I then nipped (there's that nipping again Glen!)off the sky to match the ocean so once I flipped the sky section on top of the ocean I knew where to start sewing since they were now the same length.

Next I trimmed the sky to match the edge of the ocean.

Here I flipped back the ocean so you could see the sky that was trimmed off.

Since I don't have cutting mat for the entire length of my table, I had to pull the sections together and get the rest of the fabric on the mat for trimming. I carefully lined the sections up again and trimmed.

I took the sections to the sewing machine and sewed the eight foot long sections together. I don't pin; I just match the edges as I sew.

I am taking a day of vacation tomorrow so I will have a four day weekend. I plan on getting this top finished and do some work around the house that I need to get done before my brother comes to help me. He is coming in a couple of weeks to help me with some jobs that takes two people, a job I don't have the skill to perform, and I need his extension ladder to paint an area that I cannot reach.

2 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Aha! that quilt is huge! 8 feet----that is 96 inches!!! It is going to be a masterpiece!

Vicki W said...

I'm having a lot of fun watching this quilt develop. Have a great long weekend!