Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Postcard, pillowcase problem solved, and the house project

I received this lovely fabric postcard in the mail over the holidays from Vicki of Field Trips in Fiber. Vicki dyes the most beautiful fabric and it was an honor to receive one of her postcards. It is now hanging on my smaller design wall along with other small fabric art pieces I have collected from other artists.

After making pillowcases for my nieces and nephews for years I finally had a light bulb moment to solve a problem I run into once in awhile. The problem was that if I had a one way design and I wanted it to be orientated a certain way, I always had to figure out which end needed to be sewn to the border fabric. Once in a while I would sew it to the border fabric wrong the the design did not go in the direction I wanted it. Well, over xmas I finally figured out an easy way to solve this problem. When I cut the one way print I only cut the edge that I want to attach to the border fabric and not both ends. That way I know which end to attach because the other end won't have a nice clean cut. After I have the pillowcase turned to do the final seam, I trim the other end and their you go! Problem solved! Why did it take me so many years to figure this out?

I spent last eveing sorting thru piles of paper, you know that stuff that just collects, receipts, paid bills, paycheck stubs, bank statements, etc. I thought I had a handle on them last year, but I gathered up stuff from all over the house. It is all sorted now and all I have to do is stick it in the file. A lot of this was in the x-tra bedroom that I call the office and since I am going to rip out one of the walls this weekend - I will go into more about this later - I need to get the room cleared out and the paper piles was the first thing I tackled. I need to order some supplies - drywall and some trim pieces - from Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio (they deliver! a 4x8 sheet of drywall will not fit into an Eclipse!) My brother is coming over next Tuesday to help me with jobs I cannot do myself like installing 4x8 sheets of drywall onto the wall I am ripping out.

1 comment:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

oh my! Such undertakings! I must have missed a few of your posts for some reason.

Will be watching the wall job with interest.

glen