I worked on the sunbonnet Sue quilt all weekend. Friday I trimmed the blocks. I had to use the smallest block to use as the measurements for the rest. Not all of the appliques were the same size, so her feet are very close to the sashing in some areas. I wanted this to be a traditional looking piece so I used my vintage cotton scraps for the sashing. I was going to use feedsacks, but I didn't have enough variety. I also cut out the cornerstone pieces in a variety of vintage cottons. Here is what it looked like at the end of the day Friday after 4 1/2 hours of work.
Saturday I went to the grocery store then got back to work. I finished piecing the top, added the borders, cut out the binding, washed and pressed the backing. I got about one half of it pin basted before I went to bed at 10:30 p.m. I put in about 12 hours. Here is what it looked like at end of day on Saturday. It is hard to see the borders - they blend in with the batting.
On Sunday I finished pin basting and started quilting. I did the outside sashing and some of the interior sashing and quilting the border. I attached the binding and had it hand sewn by the end of the day. I worked about 14 hours on it on Sunday. Here is what it looked like at end of day.
Monday was all about quilting the remaining 40% of sashing and quilting the background of the Sunbonnet Sue blocks. This probaby took another 6 to 8 hours, but it is done!
I would have loved to just do quilt it with that overall stitching I usually do, but the more I looked at this quilt I couldn't do it that way. I will let you know what the owner thinks about it after I give it to her. Time to update my to do list I posted on May 17th!
I did spend a little time cutting out the strips for the next project. This will be a simple step zig zag, but I need to make it a little bigger than baby quilt size. It will be for a 6 year old.